Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Individual Project
As you may or may not know, my project that I decided to do was a truss. I know, very original and never done before but all jokes aside it's supposed to be simple. I highly doubt I made this project or my project in particular hard but the research and the amount of work needed to be put into this project is insane. To be able to do the bare minimum, I think takes at least 20 hours to be able to finish this. This is a number I thought about since it should take about 1 hour to think about what you want to do and then write the proposal, then 3-4 hours to research the topic, and finally 1-2 hours to obtain the research you need and place it in a table, graph, etc. Then there is the process of doing the actual work which is close to 10+ hours depending on the amount simplification of work you intend to do. Even after this you have to type, or write all of this in and turn it in which is about another 2 hours. This may seem like I'm complaining but I enjoy this project. It's very broad, in a sense that your research is up to you, the topic is up to you, and the amount of work is up to you. I did a bridge and although it may seem easy it has many components. I'd say I'm close to half way done, but that's because I didn't spend too much time at home doing the work but rather in school. The amount of time I've put into this project is about 7 hours, if I spent more time on this then this would be really enjoyable and easy. A recommended option might be not to have homework due that week or maybe make it optional/extra credit. Of course, that idea sounds bad but I think having that much work plus other work is insane. I'm keeping up with it but others might have it worse. People that have CAD, Dynamic Systems, Fluids, and other work, good luck and hope you pass. Back to the project, I have done a decent amount of work but got stuck on a joint on the bridge, I'll probably have it worked out soon enough since I plan on turning it in early. It's a two unknown with two equation problem but the two equations are the same. I want to turn the assignment in early for the extra credit and hopefully give the professor less work since I know doing the projects are hard but grading them are too. Although, I'd hate to give a professor homework over the break, but they get that option.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that this project is way more time-consuming and complicated than I originally expected. I'm actually starting to regret not doing a truss problem as you did, because I am still stuck in the research phase of my topic. I decided to reform my intended method of comparison for modelling two heat sinks as linear systems, after reading a phd thesis that explained why it was still generally unknown how to compare the two systems that I originally chose.
ReplyDeleteIm very fortunate for the time i have over break now to complete the assignment. My topic is pretty interesting, its comparing car suspension systems. Seems simple but is turning out to become a hassle to do being they are governed by differential equations.
ReplyDeleteThankfully the project isn't due til after break, so we have a lot of time to work on it. Still, it is pretty time consuming. My project involves roller coasters, because I'm not really interested in bridges. Good luck on your project.
ReplyDeleteI feel very sympathetic. I am going through my own hell with mine as well. I think that, even though Im rather far in I may be about to pivot my focus. This break will be much needed.
ReplyDeleteI agree man, I don't know if you have Fluids with Ferrar also but we also have a individual project in fluids class as well so double the amount of work. Its gunna be a not so friendly spring break for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's nearing the end of the spring break and I hope you guys are almost or completely done because I know how much it can be. My project ended up being 20+ pages including pictures and tables. I don't have fluids but I hope Prof. Ferrar is still teaching it next semester and I wish to take it with him. Richard I think if you're doing a topic that has a differential equation as a governing equation, I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. I am taking differential equations now and it isn't too bad but having a small amount of knowledge in that is scary to choose that topic. However, if you chose it I am assuming you already too the course. Kyle, the roller coaster idea seems cool. If you're doing it as a force on each member of a roller coaster that seems cooler than my bridge. Same concept of bending and forces but on a roller coaster. It sounds difficult because the members aren't straight so I'm not sure how to calculate that. Maybe assume they're straight? Not too sure but good luck to everyone.
ReplyDelete